06 November 2012

Thirty Days of Thanks - Day Six

Today is election day. I am thankful for the fact that we live in a country in which all citizens are allowed to vote.
Today, my brother is also leaving the country. To go to Afghanistan, to go to war.
Yes, I am grateful we can vote. But I am more grateful for the people, in the past, present, and the future, who have and will continue to fight and die for this country.
Whether you agree that we should be at war or not, (or even if you agree with the idea of war or not) or with our President's decisions in that regard, (and I am not saying one way or the other my thoughts on these subjects) it's amazing.
Amazing that these people, most of whom will never meet you or know that you exist, are willing to die for you and your country.
I am not very eloquently expressing my feelings and thoughts right now. My friend Catie said it this morning better than I think I could:
"Today I am thankful for my freedom. For the many women, men, and heroes that fought the hardest battles of their lives for my freedom, and still do. Without them, I truly am nothing and have nothing. These heroes have given me a life I could never imagine. Today I am thankful for them, everyday I am thankful for them."

That's what I'm thankful for today. What about you?
Check out 30 Days of Thanks on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/300340263404435/

From the 30 Days of Thanks Facebook page:
"Thankfulness should extend beyond Thanksgiving. Even on our hardest days and in our worst moments, there is always something for which to be thankful. Practice daily gratitude during the month of November and share your thankfulness with others around the world.
"Please join this event and invite your friends to also participate in 30 Days of Thanks. Join and find something to be thankful for each day, whether you come back here each day and tell us all what you're thankful for (which would be fantastic!) or whether you acknowledge your gratitude in private."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...